Happiness With A Side Of Tea : How to Make the Most of your First Year in College

How to Make the Most of your First Year in College

Happy Monday Lovelies! It's time to kick Back-to-School into full swing. I am super excited to announce today's first guest post blogger of the month. Chandler blogs over at Life as a Larsen she has an amazing lifestyle blog. 

Hi everyone! I am Chandler and I am so excited to be here and talk about how to make the most out of your first year in college. College is such an important time in someone's life. You are finally an adult out on your own figuring out your future. No pressure or anything. So here are 5 ways to make the most out of your first year in college! 



Go to the school events
The school spends tens and thousands of dollars on fun engaging activities on campus every year. The student body government spends weeks going over the budget, attending training's, and reviewing musicians/artists/etc to make sure that the students have a fun and memorable year. There is almost always an event every week! Colleges want their students and communities to be involved and entertained that is why they have the students decided on what events should go on all year. If you go to an event with the intent to get involved and have fun I guarantee you will. 
Tip: Check out events you wouldn't normally attend. Like a play, sporting event, or debate! You might be surprised at what you like.

Join a club or student government
Typically when people hear "club" or "student government" they think of something really boring. But that is not what it is at all! There are hundreds of diverse clubs at every campus that appeal to type of person. Clubs are a great way to meet new people that have similar interests as you and can be a great support in your first year. Student government gets you super involved in all the behind the scene stuff that goes on as well as puts you in charge of the fun stuff that goes on. You basically have a backstage pass to everything that happens and will always know what is going on and meet fun, energetic, driven people. 
Tip: Student government and some clubs often have scholarship or stipends included which saves you money while having fun! They also look great on future resume's and scholarship applications!

Live in student housing
Seriously. Like don't even think about it. Getting out of your home and learn to be independent. Most people are really excited to get out on their own and be away from their family but in reality moving out is intense. You are now responsible for keeping yourself motivated, eating nutritious meals, and paying for everything.  You will learn so much by moving out. Dealing with roommates instead of family is way different. You have to communicate and not be afraid to put yourself first. You will also make some of the closest friendships. 
Tip: There is more student housing than just the dorms.

Take one fun class
Being a full time student is required for most loans and scholarships and it can be overwhelming. There are two different types of freshman. The ones who takes a bunch of difficult classes to get them over with and the ones who take all the easy classes first to focus on having fun. Both are dumb choices. There needs to be a balance between the two.  If you take too many hard classes you will get overwhelmed and burnt out fast. This usually ends in having to retake a couple classes for a better grade and missing out on fun stuff. If you take too many fun classes you won't be motivated or disciplined to take more challenging classes in the future. 
Tip: Take a class that appeals to your interests and also has some work to it. If you take something too easy you will lose interest and end up not going which can hurt you in the end.

Learn your limits
Typically freshman are taking full credit hours and trying to do everything fun and crazy they can think of because they finally have no rules. I'll let you in on a secret. You will get burnt out and will focus more on having fun then your actual education. It's inevitable. You have to know your limits and give yourself boundaries. If you don't do well getting up in the morning take afternoon classes. If you want to do well in school but still have fun, join a club. Often clubs or sororities require you to maintain a certain GPA in order to stay in or to receive a stipend. This gives you motivation to do well academically but also gives you plenty of opportunities to have fun with friends. 
Tip: Get yourself a planner and use it! Time management can be crucial to staying on top of all your responsibilities and can help you prioritize. 

What fears do you have for your first year in college? If you completed your first year already, what advice would you give to someone else? 

Thanks for joining and best of luck to you all! -Chandler

45 comments:

  1. This is great! My twin brothers are starting their second year and actually guest posted this morning on my blog about first year orientation and move in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exciting!! I'll make sure to take a look at it Becki.

      Delete
  2. Ah how much fun! Getting involved is my #1 tip for all of my friends!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #1 is definitely advice I wish I got my freshmen year.

      Delete
  3. Love this post! I'm going to be starting college next month so this is really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Ashley! I am glad Chandler's tips were able to help you. I hope you enjoy your semester.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It really is! Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Emphasis on getting involved! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely one of my goals this semester.

      Delete
  6. Going to events and living on campus are the 2 most important things I think a college freshmen can do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree because I did neither of those things. I truly regret it.

      Delete
  7. I lived in student housing all 4 years and it was one of the best decisions I made for my college career!

    -Morgan
    How 2 Wear It [] http://how2wearit.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I'll definitely remember that when it comes time to transfer my school.

      Delete
  8. I made some of my best friends from joining a sorority. I definitely would have had a different experience without it. These are all great tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! College is meant to be experienced and finding yourself. It's great that you got a chance to do that.

      Delete
  9. I really wish I'd have made more out of my first year (actually, my whole time at uni) so these are great pieces of advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone! I wish I took advantage of a lot of things and enjoyed the experience more.

      Delete
  10. All of this advice is so spot on. I am so glad I lived on campus as a freshman (and sophomore) and being part of a sorority really helped me to get involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful! I am sure it's a fun college experience.

      Delete
  11. My tip is to definitely get involved -- its a great way to meet people and stay active on campus.

    xoxo, Jenny || Breakfast at Lillys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! There's only so many places you can actually meet new people and make connections. So getting involved is a great way.

      Delete
  12. I took way too many fun classes and came to regret it senior year.. .hehe great advice, I will pass on to my younger siblings!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha. I don't think I take enough fun classes. Generals are my goals. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  13. I miss school so much! These are great tips!

    xo, Alicia | Alicia Tenise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to believe I'd miss school but I am sure I would too. :)

      Delete
  14. This is such great advice! It makes me wish I could do freshman year all over :)

    XX, SS || A Little Seersucker Sass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am right there with you. I'd take this advice and really use it.

      Delete
  15. My sister just left to FSU so I'm definitely sharing this with her!

    Xo // www.thematerialgirl.co

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I hope she finds it helpful!

      Delete
  16. what great advice! I'm going into my junior year and I used some of these tips like living on campus and joining organizations. I had a great first year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I wish I used some of these advice. Good luck on your junior year.

      Delete
  17. I couldn't agree more with what you wrote! I would add to "break out of your comfort zone."

    Annie // Annie N Belle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie that is so true. Something I definitely regret not doing my freshmen year.

      Delete
  18. These are all so true!! Freshman year is quite the learning experience!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chelsea it definitely is. It's a fun learning experience.

      Delete
  19. Getting involved is definitely the best tip of all.Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You hit the nail with your tips! They are all accurate and getting involved really helps heighten your experiences.

    xoxo, Danielle
    www.glamrme.com

    ReplyDelete