Happiness With A Side Of Tea : Guest Post: The Preppy Girl In PA; BTS Advice From A High School Senior

Guest Post: The Preppy Girl In PA; BTS Advice From A High School Senior

I hope everyone had a great weekend. We're into our second week of August and time really seems to be passing by a little too fast. It's the second week of back-to-school guest posting here on the blog. I am really excited and happy to be having Gabby from The Preppy Girl In PA take over my blog for today. It's been such a pleasure getting to know her. She's sweet, enthusiastic, and puts her heart into her writing. 

To start off this post, I would like to thank Jazmine for inviting me to guest post on her blog.  She asked me to talk about what BTS is like for a high school senior and give some words of wisdom to y'all.  So, I decided to write a letter to my freshman self. 

When trying to summarize my high school experience, my mind draws a blank. How am I supposed to gather four years of memories into one article? After much contemplation, I refer back to one song that still sticks with me, Taylor Swift’s hit song, Fifteen.  I remember listening to this song right before school started. The song is written like an open letter, so I thought I would write this as an open letter to my younger self:


Dear Gabby,

Today is your first day of high school. You are probably experiencing many emotions at the moment, fear being the most prevalent.  Fear of the unknown – the change that you are about to experience.  Although you keep hearing that high school will be the best four years of your life, you don’t have 100% faith in that statement.  Don’t worry; as Taylor Swift says, “Take a deep breath as you walk through the doors.”  You have four years in this building – you might as well calm down and “get on with the program.” There is nothing to worry about when it comes to high school.  You will make new friends, and you will build stronger relationships with the friends you already have. And the older, slightly intimidating students in the grades above you? Don’t let yourself be intimidated by them. They are nice – if you let yourself be less guarded and “broaden your horizons,” you will learn that you might have more in common with the older kids than the kids in your own grade, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

When you try out for  mock trial, don’t let the captains intimidate you. There is nothing to be concerned about – you will do amazingly and become a witness in two consecutive trials.  Although you will potentially argue with the captains, learn to listen to their advice – they might actually know what they are talking about!  Give them a chance to teach you and give you the pointers that will help you win trials; you will be glad that you listened in the long run.

Now I know you aren’t aware of this at the moment, but there are Advanced Placement tests you can take that could potentially give you college credit. When it comes to making decisions about taking them or not, try not to dwell on the negatives of taking them; rather,  think of the outcome of possibly not having to take core courses in college! Another important thing to remember is that you are not alone when making any decisions. Ask students who are older than you and know you about the AP courses offered and how they felt about them. It might help you choose one class over another. Also, listen to your parents when the time comes for the decision to be made. They only want the best for you, so give their opinions some thought before hastily choosing the courses.

I think the one thing that will stick in your mind will be college.  Where should I go?  What major should I decide? My number one piece of advice for you in this regard: DON’T THINK ABOUT IT UNTIL JUNIOR YEAR.   Of course, you should strive to achieve the best grades you can, but don’t drive yourself insane over wanting to go to one school – be open-minded about different colleges, even the ones you don’t want to hear anything about – you might potentially choose to attend that college. Another thing – do not doubt your ability to get into the college of your choice; either way, the college you choose to go to will be the college that YOU CHOSE to apply to.  Knowing you, you wouldn’t apply to a college without thinking about the slight possibility of seeing yourself at any one of those colleges, so don’t fret over not envisioning college life at one school instead of another.
Even though I just went through a few of the many obstacles you will encounter in high school, I want to give you my last pieces of advice that I want you to have “in your back pocket” when you walk through those doors:

1) Friends come and go, but the ones who are true to you and love you for who you are will be there when you need the moral support.  When you find those friends, never let them go.  Make them like non-biological siblings so you can say anything you feel without worrying about if they will be mad at you.  If your friends become jealous of your achievements or don’t support your dreams, don’t sweat it – they will show you what you want and need in a friend.

2) Always strive to achieve YOUR best. You will see students, both in your grade and in grades above you, who will receive the awards you want or get into the colleges  you dreamed of.  Always be proud of your accomplishments, because what you don’t think is your best might be another person’s definition of the same word.  By learning what your best is, you will learn to be proud of your own successes, which in turn will make you happy when you see other students achieve their successes.

3) Never become influenced by what other people tell you will be good for you.  You might want to be the captain of mock trial or debate or take three AP’s because your friends who have done so will tell you that it will be good for you.  I’m advising you to make your own decisions – you know your limits and what you can handle.  By attempting everything, you will over-exert yourself and lose focus on the things that matter to you the most.

4) The most important piece of advice I could give you, Gabby, is this: never be anyone but yourself.  Never change for anyone  (boys, friends, etc.) in order to feel accepted.  Always stick to your beliefs, which will be the driving forces behind every decision you make in high school.  If you feel the need to change for certain students to “like you” or look at you in a different way, don’t.  People will like you and accept you for who you are, and if they don’t, that’s their prerogative.  Stay true to yourself, even when everything changes around you.  Respect yourself, even when you think that people around you aren’t doing the same for themselves.   Love yourself, even when you have your doubts.  If you only remember this section of the letter, you will have the best high school experience of your life.

I hope this helps and welcome to High School!

Sincerely,
Gabby

Thinking about how high school went for me, I appreciate everything that occurred.  I don’t regret any of the experiences, and I learned a lot along the way. I learned who my true friends are.  I discovered my strengths and weaknesses.  I learned to love and let go.  But, most of all, I discovered who I am and who I want to be.  Yes, it took many tribulations and changing my idea of a career at least ten times, but now I know that I want to be a stage manager.  Everything that High School did for me will stick with me as I continue my journey to find my place in the world.  Or, in reference to the Broadway show, Pippin, that made me realize my dreams, High School gave me the tools to help me “find my corner of the sky,” and that is something no one could ever take away from me.

I walk away from this building with my head held high, confident and ready to take the world by storm.  Without the help and support from the administration, teachers, and my personal cheerleaders , I wouldn’t be where I am today.  I am forever grateful to the school that welcomed the scared and intimidated girl with big dreams with open arms, and I walk out feeling more love for this special place than I did walking in.  Thank you High School for everything you have done for me – I love you and hope to walk through the same doors soon. 
       

Feel free to follow me on social media  
  
 Twitter       Instagram    Blog     Pinterest      Tumblr